Wednesday, July 14, 2010

So Much for "Rules"

I love this template. So, I'm going to be using it for a while, at least. I'd design one, now that Blogger has tools that make it easy to upload your own designs, but I'm working on a new project and don't have time to design two blogs. More on that below, but not a lot more.

It's been a while since I posted last and my idea of following Michael Pollan's rules, adding one per week, is a total bust. I'm just not a "follow the rules, no matter what" kind of person. It makes me crazy to do that. So, no more food rules. I'm going to stick with my basic approach to food. Eat food made with the best ingredients I can afford. Cook from scratch whenever possible. And don't sweat it if I can't do those two things. Usually if I can't it's because I'm with friends and family, and they're way more important than anything else.

However, I finally found my food & cooking-related project. It will take a while to get it going, since I need a couple of expensive tools and must save up for them. I'm going to be starting a new blog for that project and keeping this one as a general blog. I'm planning to work on it slowly, so for a while there will be only posts on this blog about how the planning and design and all is going. I'm not going to say specifically what it is for a while. Right now it's pretty much just an idea.

My first step is to work out the parameters of the project. My creative brain wants to get on and design the look and feel of the site, but I can't really do anything about the site itself until I know what the content will be. That tells me that my creative side is being thoroughly neglected.

To regain balance in my life, what I'm planning to do is to cut back on my choir singing in the fall and take some classes in drawing or graphic design or digital photography. And continue in those subjects, one class at a time, until I've taken all the ones I'm interested in. Some of the classes I want to take are to develop skills I need to do my project. Some of them are just to get more creativity back into my life.

The other thing I still want to do is to add more writing to my life, starting with more blogging, because I enjoy doing it. I don't like to blog when I don't have anything to say. Thus, this has become the "Occasional Blog", rather than the "Blog in Which I Wrack my Brain for a Topic so My Nonexistent Audience Doesn't Leave". The first has the advantage of being both more interesting and shorter. I also want to get back to writing more fiction, even if it's just a little bit a few times a week.