Monday, July 26, 2010

Posting Progress

Project Progress

I've done several things in the last couple of days that will help me move forward with this project.

First, I did some brainstorming by myself. Then I got some ideas from Paul. And I called David and asked him if he, Chris, and Ann, and any of their compatriots would be willing to get together with me for a brainstorming session. I'm starting to get some ideas about the scope this project can take. It won't all happen at once, but I will add things in stages, depending on whether anyone is interested.

Second, I discussed with a friend some ideas for researching whether anyone else is doing anything like this, and if yes, where's my niche? What's different from what I want to do compared with what's already out there? Based on his suggestions, I did some research and found some useful information. I'm not finished with the research. I need to really get creative with search keywords, if I'm going to do a really thorough job.

Third, I realized I need to start a notebook for ideas and planning, plus a file for the computer files that go along with this idea. I made a file on the computer, but haven't done the notebook, yet. That's most likely going to happen this evening or tomorrow, depending on whether I need to help a friend with her computer set up or not.

Other Topics--after all, this blog wouldn't be a mishucalanza if I didn't post on more than on topic.

I found this template and I really like the way it looks. I may not keep it, though, because the gorgeous green text is a bit hard on my eyes after reading it for a while. On the other hand, just reading one post may not be too bad. If I can figure out how, I may change it to white or a lighter green.

I've been reading various interesting books lately. I've been reading Geneen Roth's books about emotional eating and Switch by Chip and Dan Heath. The two together kind of mingled around in my brain and I realized that one of the main reasons we don't achieve our goals is that we set them up using rational, logical systems. We create a goal and a projected time line and figure out the steps we need to take to get there and think we're done.

But if we don't consider the emotional component of the goal, we're likely not to complete the steps. And then we get very confused and upset with ourselves. We think we're a failure because we don't do very simple, obvious things. We know what they are. We wrote them on our plan. But sometimes the steps make us feel things we don't want to feel. Or sometimes we just don't feel like doing those things and the emotional side wins that battle.

I'm using my journal to try to look at the emotional side of the changes I thought I wanted to make in my life, but haven't been successful with. Many of them are standard things many people want to do--lose weight, become more organized, pursue artistic or creative interests like writing or art or music--things we tend to fail at, usually because of emotional issues. The thing about what I learned in Switch is that you don't have to fix your emotional issues in order to make changes or reach goals. You can set up things in your environment, for example, that can help nudge you into doing the things you want to do. That's kind of vague, but as I think about the various techniques, I'll figure out how to make it specific enough to actually be useful.