Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Recipe Review--Classic Bread Pudding

I started this post a coulpe of weeks ago, and didn't have time to finish and post it. So, here it is.

The latest recipe I'm testing is a bread pudding with an optional bourbon sauce. Unfortunately, the older bottle of heavy cream I had in the fridge was too old, so I ended up substituting 1/2 cup milk for part of the cream in the bread pudding and skipping the bourbon sauce. It's in the oven and I'm not sure it will be done before the deadline, which is today, but they're on Eastern Daylight Time, so if they have a midnight deadline, I'll miss it. I tried to do it on time, but the timing was awful. I got the recipe right before the concert last week, so time was an issue for me.

This is NOT a "point-friendly" recipe. But it's supposed to be an indulgence. I'm not eating a whole portion of it. Just a bite or two. A whole portion, even if I cut it into the smaller size they suggest, is 13 points and that's with the whole milk substituting for 1/2 cup of the cream. Whew!! If I like the recipe, I may play with it and see if I can make a lower-point version that's worth eating.

I finished the recipe and it was very rich, but very bland. The texture was good and they met their goal with the recipe. But it wasn't worth the calories, as is. The other people who tried it had the same reaction. It's a good base, but it needed more. Spices, raisins, something. I warmed it up and put fresh raspberries on it and it was wonderful. My son topped it with whipped cream and loved it that way. However, I suspect more fat isn't what I'd top this rich dish with.

BTW-I can't post the recipes I test because the people who run the magazine ask us not to share recipes that haven't been published.