Monday, April 24, 2006

Internet Issues & an Interesting Quiz

I've been mostly offline the past week because I haven't had a reliable internet connection. It makes it difficult to post regularly, which I find frustrating.

Jean posted an interesting quiz on her blog yesterday. It's a quiz asking what time of day are you. Here's mine:




You Are Sunrise



You enjoy living a slow, fulfilling life. You enjoy living every moment, no matter how ordinary.

You are a person of reflection and meditation. You start and end every day by looking inward.

Caring and giving, you enjoy making people happy. You're often cooking for friends or buying them gifts.

All in all, you know how to love life for what it is - not for how it should be.



This is interesting to me because it's more like me than most of these quizzes. I do enjoy life for what it is. I don't see the point in trying to make life into something it's not, then being disappointed because my expectations aren't met. I don't expect my wildest fantasies to be real, but they're fun to play around with in my mind. I get stories from them because they're so over-the-top, exactly the way fiction is over the top. In real life, though, I try to make the most of each day, doing what I can to build the life I want, and enjoy every minute of that process, because my memories and what I do today are what I have.

I also have learned to appreciate the ordinary. There's a line Henry Fonda says in the original version of Yours, Mine, and Ours with Lucille Ball. He's talking with his teenage daughter, who's trying to figure out what to do about her boyfriend, who wants what every teenage boy wants. Lucille Ball's character is about to have a baby. There's complete chaos going on as they try to follow their plan to make sure the younger kids are cared for and get mom-to-be to the hospital in time. He tells the young girl that this is what life's all about. I think that's where love is built and relationships thrive--in the everyday, ordinary things.