Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rebel Ice, Galadriel,& the Uber Challenge

I was looking at my list of posts and discovered I never posted this. I'd only gotten the quiz from Tambo's blog, done and never had time to finish writing the post about the Uber Challenge. Also, since I started this post, I've gotten Rebel Ice, and I wanted to talk about that a bit, too. So, here it is, updated with today's stuff.

Rebel Ice

Rebel Ice is the long-awaited next novel in S.L. Viehl's StarDoc series. I haven't finished reading it yet, but I wanted to let everyone know it's out. It came out while I was sleeping off that flu bug a couple of weeks ago. I think that, while I really enjoy everything Sheila's written, her StarDoc series is my favorite.










From Tambo's blog:

Which Fantasy/SciFi Character Are You?



Possessing a rare combination of wisdom and humility, while serenely dominating your environment you selflessly use your powers to care for others.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

Galadriel is a character in the Middle-Earth universe. You can read more about her at the Galadriel Worshippers Army.

Uber Challenge

I've had to make some hard decisions about how I'm spending my time, particularly with regard to the mystery class. According to the time estimates, I could do the class by working an hour a day. But it's taking a lot longer than that to do the work well. You can't do a lesson a week and finish, either, because the class is six weeks long and there are eight lessons. I'm thinking that the best way to deal with it is to work for an hour a day and do as much as I can. I won't finish the class on time, but it's free and there's no limit on how many times you can take it. So, rather than push myself to finish on time and do a lousy job, I'm going to sign up again and start working wherever I ended up when the original six weeks are up. I think that plan will allow me to learn the most, which is the whole point.

I purchased and downloaded both Holly's Create a Character Clinic and Sheila's Way of the Cheetah, written under her pseudonym, Lynn Viehl. I'm planning to work through Way of the Cheetah first because it fits neatly into the Uber Challenge. It's about how to become a disciplined and productive writer, and that's pretty much my challenge.

The last thing that's crucial for me to get done is to update and use my calendar. I have a love/hate relationship with databases and spreadsheets. I love the way they make it easier to keep track of stuff. However, I hate the tedious task of having to update them all the time. On the other hand, I worry that I'll miss a rehearsal or something crucial if I don't get my life on the calendar and keep it open on my desktop. My days are too much alike, which makes it really hard to keep track of whether something's happening today or next Wednesday without writing it down.