Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Buffy and Unique Characterization

Andi's doing quizzes again. This one was the superheroine quiz. I ended up as:







You Are Buffy the Vampire Slayer


"We saved the world. I say we have to party."

What Superheroine Are You?



I wasn't surprised. If you know the heroine, you can answer the questions so you get that heroine. I've been watching Buffy lately. I borrowed the DVDs from my son and I started making him give me two seasons so when I finished one, I'd have the other one ready to go. I just started season six. I'm seeing why people liked it so much.

As a writer, I intend to watch it again, this time to study how the characters develop and change and how the uniqueness of each person is portrayed. It's rare to see a show or read a book, or watch a film where only the character who says a line or bit of dialogue could have said it. If someone not in the cast read the script aloud, I'd know who was supposed to say each line. The lines for Buffy don't sound like Willow's lines. Even if they're expressing the same idea, Willow doesn't use the same words as Buffy. Even though they're both teens in the same era, Xander doesn't sound like Oz. Showing characters as being themselves, and not interchangeable with other characters, is a tricky thing to do. It's something I've been working on in my writing, lately.

Just for fun, I did the quiz again as if I didn't know what the answers would lead to. I ended up with:







You Are Trinity


"Touch me and that hand will never touch anything again."

What Superheroine Are You?



I can live with that. Trinity's pretty cool. lol