Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Requisite Post

I started an essay yesterday. But it was my birthday. My husband took me out to lunch and we had the usual errands and I had Ladyesong rehearsal and so on and so on. So I didn't get it finished. I looked at it. It's not going to be ready to post today, either. It's one of those things where you know what you want to say, but the words aren't coming out right. That's all in a day's work, though, when you're a writer.

My husband also bought me a really cool coffee mug. It's this year's holiday mug from Peet's, a local coffee house chain. The sentiment seems especially appropriate for a writer. It says, "One cup is worth a thousand words." Do you think if I drink enough Peet's coffee in my Thousand-Word mug, I'll write thousands of words? It does seem to tug at me to write words.

Oh, and lunch was wonderful. We went to Max's. I had a baked potato stuffed with veggies and garlic shrimp. It comes with a Caesar salad. Paul got a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. I traded him some salad for a few fries. Perfect.

Both of the choirs I'm in sang "Happy Birthday" to me. It was way cool to be serenaded in multi-part harmony. And they were in tune, of course. What a concept! I wish corporations that own chain restaurants would ditch the idea that waiters have to sing unless they're going to give one of them a pitch pipe, so they start on the same note, and teach them how to sing a melody on key. I guess that's a common musician's rant. The off-key singing hurts our ears.

My mom's gift will go to celebrate the holidays with my family. We haven't had everyone together since last summer. So, I'm using my birthday money to take the whole family out to dinner sometime soon. We just have to coordinate schedules, which becomes extremely difficult after they're grownups and have lives.

Tomorrow is the end of the line for all of you NaNoers. Congratulations to all who have completed the required 50K. I'm cheering on all of you who are close. You can finish! And a great big cheer to all who started and got words. Any words you got means you succeeded. So, if you didn't finish, there's always next year. You get more words next year. And more the next. And eventually, you finish. That's what happened to me, anyway.