Friday, August 19, 2005

Talyn by Holly Lisle

Holly writes: "For Sheila Kelly, who liked this one best." I agree with Sheila, who said the same thing to me in an email way before the book came out. Talyn is the best book I've read in a long time. I couldn't read it straight through without stopping, no matter how much I wanted to. I kept stopping to think about what I read. And to deal with the emotions the book brought out. It deals with hard themes. What's good? What's bad? Who's right? How perspective matters. Is love enough? What is love? But it's not a preachy book because Holly lets her characters wrestle with the questions and figure out the answers that are right for them. I think it deserves to be a huge book, so go--read. Tell your friends. Post on your blogs. Spread the word about this book. It may be the best book I read this year, even with the new Harry Potter having come out and I'm a huge HP fan.

You can read an excerpt on Holly's website. Click on the link to the chapter you want to read. She has posted chapters 1-3 and some "extras" like a map and the Tonk calendar.