Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Hidden Talent Quiz

I wanted something fun to cheer me up so I looked at my notes for possible weblog topics and found this:

Your Hidden Talent
You are both very knowledgeable and creative.
You tend to be full of new ideas and potential - big potential.
Ideas like yours could change the world, if you build them.
As long as you don't stop working on your dreams, you'll get there.



I thought that result was pretty cool for where I am in my life right now.

Electric Skillets and DVD-ROM Drives

I'm not replacing my electric skillet until at least September. I discovered that someone else had the same problem with her Circulon skillet that I had with my old one. I thought it was the old wiring in the apartment we were living in, but, apparently, the temperature control burning up is not an unusual circumstance. So, that one's off the list. I looked for 20 minutes to a half hour and couldn't find a bad review of the Cuisinart skillet. So, that's the one I decided to buy. I'll let you all know how I like it sometime in September or October, after I've had a chance to use it well.

As for why I'm not replacing my skillet until September, well, that's a budgetary matter. Our housemate is moving tomorrow. His friends found a place on Monday and got a Thursday move-in date. The DVD-ROM drive in our computer is his. Since he and my son were using our DVD player and TV, he lent us his drive so we could watch movies in our room. So, we got used to having one and are going to buy one of our own. Add that to our other expenses for the rest of August, and I cannot afford my skillet before September. No problem--we're cooking almost everything on Paul's new grill. Last night I did the simplest thing you can do--sprayed the chicken with olive oil, sprinkled a little salt and pepper, and grilled them. Yummy!

I'm really enjoying my reading jag. I think not writing is allowing me to read the way a nonwriting reader does again. And I'm enjoying books on a different level. I think it's important for a writer to be able to just read a book without analyzing the writing. Just read and enjoy. Which is what I'm going to do after I post this blog entry.