Thursday, August 25, 2005

Been Reading a Lot

I've been reading a lot lately. I've read three books I want to comment on. They're really different from each other. I know a lot of people who read the same type of book over and over. They read only Regency Romance. Or only Romantic Suspense. Or only Cozy Mysteries. Or . . . . I can't do that. I get bored. The last three books I read are a fantasy, a mystery, and a Regency romance.

Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy

This urban fantasy is a wild roller coaster ride. Don't expect to put it down once you start it. You just have to find out what's next. Joanne Walker's whole life changes just because she had to help. There's magic and mystery in this book. If you like strong heroines and urban settings, you'll like this one. This is also one where I can't think of anything to say that doesn't give away too much, since this book's surprises are part of it's appeal.

Cat in an Orange Twist by Carole Nelson Douglas

I've been a fan of the Midnight Louie mysteries from the first book, Catnap, which apparently is no longer available new. This book is the 17th book in the series and I'm not bored yet. You don't have to read all of the books or read them in order to keep up with the series. She does a great job of sneaking in what you need to know to follow the ongoing mystery that she started in the first book. Each book is a part of that overall mystery, plus she has shorter stories that cover several books, and each book has it's own mystery. It's a complex project that the writer in me admires a lot.

This book twists and turns as any good mystery should. I didn't figure out whodunnit and it wasn't the author's fault. She gives us the information we need to figure it out. I just didn't make the connection. Carole Nelson Douglas has a clever way with words and a wit that sometimes has me laughing out loud, but the books are not comedies. Her characters run the gamut of human emotions, as all good characters should. Traditionally in series books, the main characters don't change. This isn't a traditional series. The characters do change, but slowly, the way people do. Worth a read. Worth picking up the older books and getting the whole story. She has 8-10 more books planned, I believe. It's going to be interesting to see how she keeps it going.

The Rogue by Celeste Bradley

This is the latest in her Liar's Club series. You don't have to read the series from the beginning because each book is a separate story. However, since she carries the characters from book to book, if you do read the whole series, it's fun to meet old favorites again. The Liar's Club is a spy organization in Great Britain at the time of the war between Britain and Napoleon. The stories are pretty complex because there are the personal tales of the hero and heroine mixed in with the spying and saving England from the French. This is fun, light reading. Take it to the beach or read it on your lunch hour.