Monday, August 08, 2005

"Afterburn"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PAUL!!! (who won't see this because he doesn't read weblogs)

Afterburn By S. L. Viehl

This book takes place on K-2, an aquatic world. There's a peace summit. The whole cast has its own agenda, including those who want the peace summit to fail. And that's all I'm saying about the story. The characters in Sheila's books are always unique. They don't agree with each other and they don't play nice. That allows her to explore deeper themes than people expect in a space opera-style science fiction novel. She deals with racism and prejudice. She asks the question, "Is it really so easy to tell who the good guys are?" She explores the nature of friendship and romance. The plot twists and turns and keeps you guessing all the way through. She lays the clues out, and you don't put them together until she's ready for you to know what they mean. As usual, I'm going to let you find out who, what, where, when, why, how, and the answers to all the other questions by reading the book yourself. Go, buy, read!!

Talyn

Next up will be Talyn by Holly Lisle. It's going to be a while before I finish this lush fantasy. It's 500+ pages of small text. Or maybe the text just seems small because my eyes are no longer so young. I'm enjoying it so far, which I expected. Holly is a master of creating complex, deep fantasy worlds and the complex, deep stories that fit those worlds.

The Weekend

I love my family. They're smart, funny, and a joy to be with. I adore opportunities to get the whole gang together. So, we went to The Country Gourmet for breakfast to celebrate Paul's birthday. We had a great time. It was a nice break between all the errands and chores that fill up our weekends.

I found, but decided not to buy, the electric skillet. It was a good price at Costco, back when I bought my original one. But it wasn't made well enough to justify spending $20.00 more just to get the same brand. I can get a higher-quality skillet for the same price. But I may spring for the Cuisinart. It's more expensive, but it's also bigger and has a higher wattage, which means it gets hotter. That's a plus for browning meat and Paul's great breakfast potatoes. I'm going to see if I can find some magazine articles or reviews on the pans before I make up my mind.

On the writing front, I had a couple of revelations over the weekend that will make my story better. I keep reminding myself that we will get moved and I will get back to a regular writing schedule again. Meantime, I'm doing a lot of reading. Studying the craft of writing. Doing some exercises to practice things I want to improve in my writing. All in all, I'm making progress, even if it's not actual words on this specific draft.