Friday, July 15, 2005

Bloggers aid charities

Thanks to M.J. Rose, I've heard about a couple of good causes people are talking about on their weblogs. She's doing a promotion using a new technology where they make "vidlits" for books. They're similar to movie trailers. Here's a link to info about the Good Cause/Good Effects campaign and one to the vidlit for The Halo Effect, M.J. Rose's recent mass market release. The Halo Effect Vidlit.

I haven't read the book yet. But it looks like a good one. As I think I've mentioned before, we're moving soon. I'm not buying books until AFTER we move. They're heavy lifting. The Halo Effect is on my ever-growing list of books to buy after we're in our own place. I recommend that you check it out and see if the blurb and a couple of pages of reading appeal to you as much as they do to me.

M.J. is donating $5.00 to the nonprofit literacy organization
Reading is Fundamental for every weblog that links to her vidlit. Literacy has always been a cause this lifelong bookworm supports whenever possible. I'm happy to do my part, even though my blog is a tiny, new one without a lot of readers.

She's also reported about a quilt raffle to benefit Capital Candlelighters. Capital Candlelighters is the Madison, Wisconsin branch of Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation.

Jennifer Chiaverini coaxed 61 authors to sign quilt blocks, which she made into the beautiful quilt they're raffling off. It goes along with the seventh book in her Elm Creek Quilt series. In that book, The Sugar Camp Quilt, the characters make a similar quilt to support a fictional charity. There are links on the Capital Candlelighter's web site with information and a photo of the completed quilt. There is also a listing of the 61 authors, with a picture of their signed blocks. There's a link telling you how you can enter the raffle. Tickets are a mere $5.00 and proceeds go to a great cause. The drawing will be held on September 17th.